Night Marketing in SS2

One of the best night-markets around has got to be the one in SS2 on Mondays.
Truth be told, I haven't been to that many pasar-malams ever since my uni days and it usually just revolves around my uni area, namely Section 17, Section 14, Chaoyang, TTDI, Bangsar, Kerinchi and of course, SS2.


So, what's so good about the night-market here?

The f-o-o-d (definitely!), the 'affordable' DVDs and CDs,

the customer-friendly fruit sellers (they have even let me sample all 5 types of apples they sell just so I could make a comparison)

and the occasional leng-lois (UM students?) in skimpy shorts seen giggling away while strolling hand-in-hand in groups of 3 or more.


As I try to recall my worthy 'treasures' of the SS2 night-market, this is what I would recomend you look out for next time you decide to drop in (on a Monday pls) :

-Ice lolly on a stick (only RM 1 for red bean - the best! , jagung and santan flava); unfortunately I've been missing my 'iceman' for months now!

-Nasi lemak Nyonya (again RM 1 for just rice and sambal udang kering..seriously, there's no other condiments - see pic below)

-Freshly-baked buns for my Tuesday breakfast (sniff your way to the smell of baking bread and look for the stall with the huge ovens)

-Tong-sui man on a motorcycle (supposedly he's the best but somehow I haven't had any luck with him as everything is always sold out by 6!)

-The infamous Asam Laksa sold from a van (patience is a virtue, patience will also get you a bowl of Asam Laksa)

- Muar Otak-otak ('can accept, can accept'...*nodding*)

-Best Fried Chicken (similar to Shihlin Taiwan Snack's, but much crispier, tastier and spicier! Go for the one with 'bones' as I find them more appetising - see pic below)

-Best Lemon Jelly Drink ('ai-yi-ping') I've ever had! Now, there're a handful of stalls selling this, so look for the aunty who also has a bubble tea stall directly opposite. What's so special about their drink? This aunty has successfully perfected the concoction of sweet, sour and chewiness (from the jelly) to create a thirst-quenching drink so powerful, it makes sore throats disappear in an instant!
omg, who poses in the middle of a night-market...?
Taiwan sausage...! Aren't they one of those 'to-ban' products from China...? *gulp*
I usually go for Arisan Fried Chicken although I see more of Uncle Bob Fried Chicken stalls sprouting up in night markets. I would certainly try Bob's one day.
Queue there may be, but pretty soon it'll be me!
The fruit-seller beside them used to grumble at the chicken-sellers as their customer-line was so long, it 'intrudes' into their fruit stall. Business was so badly affected (no one was buying their bananas), they had to move their business elsewhere.
Look at how productive we were that night!
Loading into the Kenari..
Even Piggy is happily smelling the food around her.
Back to my place for din din.
Our Spread!

Don't forget to visit the night-market nearest to you, or if you know of any other happening night-markets, do share with me! ^>^

10 comments:

  1. Well you think wrong.....
    Unclebob fried chicken is the real deal...the Arisan chicken is the mother of all copycats~!

    www.unclebob.com.my

    ReplyDelete
  2. unclebob fried chicken is the real deal~!
    That Arisan Chicken is the mother of all COPYCATS AKA IMPOSTERS~!

    ReplyDelete
  3. u for real??
    is this uncle bob? :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. so how does uncle bob chicken differ fr arisan. just wondering how come the queue is usually longer for arisan..

    ReplyDelete
  5. The seller in SS2 used to sell Uncle Bob Fried chicken....

    ReplyDelete
  6. i guess "one man's meat is another man's poison"
    i'm just annoyed that you said uncle bob is copy cat.
    i would appreciate it if you remove the phrase No no..don't go for Uncle Bob Fried Chicken (copycat, me think)"...thanks~!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The ARISAN's owner USED to sell Uncle BoB!!! i remember them!!..why don't they come out some NEW THINGs and some NEW idea huh..just copy..confuse me ..http://www.coool.com.my/viewthread.php?action=printable&tid=27879
    check the website..2006 i don't think ARISAN BORN

    ReplyDelete
  8. both are local copycats with no innovative products. arisan and uncle bob. Pasar malam standard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Arisan Fried Chicken will be open at Sungai Wang Plaza on 16th April 2010 at Restoran Sin Tai Kar Lok, Lot 10, 4th Floor. Opening Promotion, join me at facebook fans. erico01my@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. hah, sometime the taste says a thousand words...

    mayb tht's y Arisan Fried Chicken was q by a lot of ppl...

    o ya! they r comin a new product! i saw it in SS2 also! something like fish chop...

    ReplyDelete