2009's Gonna Be FiShY ><(((:>

Have I forgotten to greet my bloggees Kong Hee Kong Hee? ^__^

Sorry, no obligatory cny greeting from me (I think you would have gotten enough cards and sms-es already.............plus I'm too lazy to write. heehee) though I am compiling a little something on how I spent my CNY. Mostly routine...blurgh.

Not much I can write about cows/ bulls/ oxen either so let's dwell on a fishy year ahead for me.

Know why? Coz I'm in love with Woo Pin Fish Head Noodles and this year (onwards), I'm going to down bowls and bowls of it every chance I get.. *greedy face*

Know what? I used to have this 'anti-fish-head-noodle' attitude. The thought of adding milk into my soup noodle gave me the creeps. Then gradually came the stage of 'tolerance' where the noodle dish became somewhat 'tolerable'. How so?... I just yell out to the seller ..'leave out the milk, mm-koi'.

Last year, I was introduced to a certain brand of Fish Head Noodle which brought me to a stage of 'acceptance', and then turned into a stage of 'addictiveness'.

Let's just say, there was no turning back since then.
' Woo Pin Fish Head Noodles' has 2 outlets - one in Cheras and another in Tmn Danau Desa. I have tried both so I can make a self-opinionated comparison between both. Even though run by the same owner, I still believe consistency in quality should never be undermined.
This is the Cheras (original) outlet, quite a rundown area in front of some low-rise flats. Seats are filled up speedily during lunch hour, so if I were you, try going around 2-2.30pm. No later lest you'll be dining on nothing but fish-bones.
The busy kitchen area not looking too busy now
This is me holding up a piece of fried fish head for all to see. Can you see, can you see?
Or are you looking at the Starbucks instead...mmm
You know there has to be a closeup on the noodle right?
Look at how meaty the fish head is and it's not at all soggy or un-crispy.
3 things I like BEST about my noodle:-
1. Lots and lots of ham-choy (pickled lettuce)
2. Springy noodle which doesn't soak up the broth within minutes (like the normal bee-hoon does) .
3. The mind-blowing, thirst-quenching, tongue-licking, lip-smacking...o-oh where am I heading...fish broth mixed with just enough chinese wine to give you all the effects I just mentioned. :P
Who says I don't finish my food... burpp
And then I hear there's this other Woo Pin branching out in Tmn Desa.
*gasp* Let's try it out!
Look for the Ho A One Steamboat Restaurant as Woo Pin operates from here during the day.
Address - Jalan 1/109F, Taman Danau Desa
Op Hours - 7.30am - 2.30pm (closed alternate Mondays)
Even though occupying a corner lot, this place is still jam-packed. If you're in a group of 3 and below, be prepared to share your table with strangers. Who knows, you may get to know a new friend or two. Or be like me, making faces at this toddler at our table (when the mother's not looking, of course).
Ok, this is not the toddler I meant.
Anyway, make sure you order their foo-chok-yi-mai (barley beancurd slice) drink as they make it just like mum's... With pak-kor (gingko-nut).
With all the other ingredients similar in quality to those of the Cheras outlet, this outlet could do with some or more Chinese wine in their broth so the milkiness isn't too overpowering.
But I'm still loving it anyway!!

Now won't you try it for yourself ><(((:>

Here's leaving you with a little recipe for Fish Head MeeHoon...

Serves 4 to 6
Ingredients:
1 fish head (ikan merah or ikan kurau) approximately 300g
50g plain flour
300g rice noodles (meehooon)
5 slices young ginger
3 litres of water
60g ikan bilis, washed clean
2 tbsp evaporated milk
2 shallots, sliced
2 stalks spring onions, cut into 2 cm lengths

Seasoning:
½ tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp light soy sauce
½ tsp pepper

Directions:
Clean fish head with salt and cut into four pieces. Pat dry and coat with flour evenly.
Heat fry pan with oil and deep fry the fish head pieces until light brown. Dish out.
Add in 2 tbsp oil in the frying pan and stir fry shallots until fragrant, then discard.
Add in ikan bilis and water. Cover. Bring to boil and simmer for a few minutes. Remove cover. Discard ikan bilis.
Add in young ginger slices, meehoon and seasoning. When soup is boiling, add in fish head pieces and evaporated milk. Then add in spring onions and serve hot.

Dish it up and make sure you invite me over!

No comments:

Post a Comment