funny

she called two weeks ago. i ignored it.

she called again lunchtime yesterday. this time, 2 missed calls.

funny, some spontaneous spell came over me all of a sudden that made me call her back at 7.59pm. but not without a heavy heart and a deep breath right before dialling her number. dunno why i did it. maybe because i'm generally a good selfless soul. plus, she's a woman in her 70s so if i have to put on the happiest glow on my face or project the most cheerful tone in my voice just to make her feel a tad better...believe me, I would.

funny deep down, i dread each call. i dread listening to the scripted,rehearsed & cliched questions about my well-being, from 'how long my hair has grown' or 'am i still as skinny as a stick' to 'am i seeing anyone special'. i dread her one day telling me that her son's gotten married or she's going to be a grandma once more. not that i bother (really) plus i can tell she's really careful about what she says. it touches me whenever i call back (half praying nobody picks up) because listening to how her voice lights up whenever she hears me say 'auntie', makes me glad i made the call. and i can't believe she's still apologising to me after 2 years. wtf does she need to feel sorry for when all she'd been was like a mother to me.

it's funny she mentioned that she hasn't forgotten my face and would sometimes secretly view my old photos from her son's pc, with the help of one of her grandsons of course. that took me by surprise. i could only respond with 'yao mou kao cho ah'...hopefully that didn't come off as too rude a response. oh, have i mentioned recently discovering my own collection of holiday photos all cut-up with holes in them, with the intention to remove the face of a certain someone. who else but my parent's doing...hilarious i think but i guess all parents are protective in that way :>

funny it suddenly occured to me this 'call-pattern' - that she would call each time she's about to fly off to a holiday somewhere. it was the case previously with hk, vietnam, china, australia and this time, it was hk again...next month...with him...and probably more.

i'm glad she and hubby are doing well and going places. i always wish them a long healthy life.

after a brief 5 minutes, we said our good-byes and i went for dinner with 6 good friends.

watdaheck, it was friday the 13th anyway.

1 comment:

  1. well except for your last presumption, you got the rest right.
    too bad she doesn't have another son. hahaha..
    too bad datz life...

    ReplyDelete