a weekend in my kampung

Part of the excitement of going back to my kampong on weekends is deciding where to bring my parents to eat. Unfortunately, I get really clueless when it comes to finding (new) eating places in Malacca as compared to KL/ PJ. And as far as Malacca is concerned, the best food is usually tucked away in some nook or corner, waiting to be discovered by my Dad. Yup, good 'ol Dad who goes around on his bike hunting for food. 

Once in a while, I bring my parents to a nice cosy cafe to experience afternoon tea with an 'English-feel'. With mum being a huge coffee lover, I brought them to Coffeebean. Coincidentally, I got 20% off the bill by using my CTB bank.

Mum's a scones lover, hence she got herself a raisin scone.
       
Most popular cheesecake from Coffeebean - New York style Cheesecake, dear's fave.
The Red Velvet Cupcake looked too pretty not to be ordered, so I did the obvious.
And sad to say, it tasted pretty bland. Maybe it's just for that particular outlet we were at.
Never judge a cupcake by its topping. =(
Chipotle Roast Chicken Sandwich - my all-time fave. Loved the side salad with raisins and almond flakes.
Would have preferred it on Panini bread though.
After a brief afternoon tea (there were drinks too, just no pics), we drove about an hour to Pantai Kundur.
My first time on this beach and my oh my, was I impressed.

With mum and dad
I so want to dip my feet into the sea..
The beach was so beautiful especially during sunset, all I wanted was more time on the beach, playing in the water and walking on the sandy beach....
...but unfortunately, it was time to fill our tummies (again).
Off we went to this nearby restaurant just opposite the beach where we were taking photos.
Nothing fancy-looking about this place, just another coffeeshop recommended by someone.
Dear, to be precise.

We had a Hakka dinner (obviously, since it's named Restoran Hakka Pantai Kundur).
This is Yam Abacus, which I didn't quite enjoy. For me, it tasted too fake, like chewing on a small deflated rubber ball.
Next came their signature Steamed Fish. It was RM 41 and all we got was half the fish.
Steamed Salted Kampong Chicken was RM 15 for half a bird.
Everyone enjoyed this Preserved Vege with Pork. Anything fatty is just yummy.
Simple stir-fried Vege dish.
My eating frenzy that weekend didn't end just there.
The next morning, Dad brought us to this place for Malacca's famous fish head noodle.
Little did he know I've already identified my fave one in Cheras. Hence, I was excited.
Somewhere inside this coffeeshop,
is a stall that sells Hee-Kiaw (that's actually noodles with fish ball, cake, etc..)
and lots of balls swimming in soup.
But THIS is the stall that is the busiest!
For some reason, looking at this picture of fish head noodle in harm-choy (salted vege) soup, makes me cringe. The style here is 'without milk'.
It may not be d best tasting fish head soup, but I certainly got real meaty fish and that's a nice change.
Uncle Richard joined us too.
We headed back to KL after breakfast and stopped by Kajang coz I was suddenly missing some authentic Kajang sate.
I had no idea how big they have grown!!
No, not the sate but the famous Hj Samuri outlet.
And the size of the sate?
On the contrary, the sticks have outgrew the meat.
And that's a tad too much peanut sauce for 10 sticks, dunchu think?
Unless I was thinking of drinking the sauce like I drink soup.
Look at the amount of chilli oil used to mix in with the peanut sauce!
This reminds me of a rumour I heard years ago about someone finding a certain something in the pot of sauce.

Trust me, you do NOT want to know about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment