there goes my wisdom...

With the taste of blood lingering in my mouth, let me tell you how i ended up in this state.
A year ago, a certain dentist told me i had to have my wisdom tooth removed because it was coming out slanted and trapping food between the gaps. The oblivious me of course chose to defy the good intentions of the doctor and went on living life as normal. Until 2 weeks back, when i was struck by this horrible horrible throbbing pain at the back of my teeth. I instantly knew it! My past ignorance is coming back to bite me in the ass. Immediately i knew that this time, i was gonna pay for it - literally and figuratively.

I went back to Dr Lim, got an x-ray and that was when i knew i was gonna be fixing another 'date' with him. awww mann. Maybe not to you but to me, it was a huge thing especially when Dr Lim himself classifies this procedure as a s-u-r-g-e-r-y. And freaking Google doesn't help either especially when you get so inclined to google about wisdom tooth removal gone wrong, leading to post-depression or paralysis if doc strikes the wrong nerve, etc.  A week later and after a much-needed motivational talk from cousin Jason who had all his four wisdom teeth removed by Dr Lim, here i am.

Sitting in the doc's chair, i asked the nurse if the procedure would be a painful one, and she said 'Nah, only the jab will be painful.' (@#$!, are you kidding me?)
Then i felt something like 3 jabs right onto my inner jaw and probably inner cheek? I dunno, i couldn't bother to ask and doc wasn't exactly Mr Jeeves.
Almost instantly i felt the whole right side of my mouth going numb and every touch of it feels like pins and needles. I was experimenting if i could still move my tongue or even open my mouth and silly me, of course i could! lol.

Then suddenly doc was called to see some very impatient lady patient who had no prior appointment but was demanding for pain killers. Politely, he obliged to treat her and politely, i was asked to wait for a while. It was the most awkward 15 minutes i experienced, lying down flat in the dentist chair with nothing to do except twiddling my fingers or poking at my numb cheeks. I tried getting some shuteye but yeah right. After a while, my mind wandered to 'oh shit, what if the longer i wait, the anaesthetic wears off and by the time doc pulls my teeth, i die from sudden shock of pain?...like ..like in the movie 'The Dentist'!'
Then it'll all be that !@# lady's fault.

Anyway, when doc finally came back to me, he put on a pair of super large goggles. On me la, not him. His was a normal sized goggles. :)
(oh shit, what's with the goggles? is there gonna be blood and flesh splattering over my face later?!')

I really gotta stop being so imaginative.

Then i did the most important thing. Or is it cowardly?


I closed my eyes.


Next, came all the sounds of clink clank of tools and appliances which were all still bearable, right until i felt and heard the drilling of my tooth. Dear Lord, it was like those JKR people drilling on the road pavements. I smelled the blood and felt flying bits of my tooth from the drill. I assumed i wasn't supposed to be feeling ANY of the work done on my tooth but why the heck do i feel the drill of the tooth?! i gave out a small cry of pain (more like a sympathy cry for help) and the doc stopped and asked if i felt the pain. Dunno whether it's my kemanjaan or perhaps the anaesthetic was really wearing off, i got another shot of the magic numbing potion! hehe...

The drilling went on for a while more and i thought the worse was over, until jeng jeng jeng..... 

The tugging of my tooth!

I felt doc tugging and pulling at my tooth but the damn tooth just did want to budge! (at least i felt that way).
I bet if i had opened my eyes then, it would have looked like doc standing next to me and giving all his might to pop a cork out of a wine bottle. Only that my tooth was the cork.

More drilling and tugging was done and OMG, it came to a certain point when i just wanted to tell doc to 'give up, i'm keeping my tooth'. Fyi, most part of my wisdom tooth was embedded in the gums so imagine the task of digging it out of from its roots.

Don't forget the fact that i had to keep my mouth wide open the entire time. I was thinking of a hippopotamus, dunno why. And do they really have only 2 front teeth?
I kept telling myself, go to a happy place....think happy thoughts.... So, though i wished dear was there with me, fiddling with my wedding ring did made me think of us. ^.^

It was then i felt some string in my mouth, like doc was tying string around my tooth. Guess what came to my mind? Yup, i thought all methods fail, doc was attempting to tie a string around my tooth and tie it to the door knob to pull out my tooth. Dun laugh.

Some more tying of string in my mouth, and i still didn't want to open my eyes. Then without warning, doc began stuffing lots of gauze right at the back of my mouth and told me to bite hard. WHat, it was over?

Yup it was all done. And guess what, i didn't even feel the tooth coming out!

Doc showed me my extracted bloody tooth, cut in half due to the drilling.
Oh wow, i just realised all the strings going around in my mouth a while ago were the stitches on my gums. Aaaaahh.

=_=

Damage was RM 650 including antibiotics, painkillers and a supply of gauze for my gums which i have to replace every half hour or so. 
I'm still feeling the pins and needles on my face after an hour. Just hope i'm not drooling like nobody's business coz i can't feel anything! 
But what's more worrying is the real pain kicking in as the anaesthetic wears off. Gulp. Will i be strong to endure the pain later???

Feeling woozy like hell, i still managed to snap this.
Now say bye bye to part of my wisdom...
I intend to keep the rest of my remaining wisdom, thank you.

2 comments:

  1. Scarry experience..rather don't want wisdom..

    ReplyDelete
  2. MOLLY

    ayoooo....your story aaaa....make my gigi plak rasa sakit...

    ReplyDelete