Ayam Penyet

"Hey siu V, this chicken looks so cute-la. Let's eat here!"

"Wah like that also can-ar?"

And that's how I had my first taste of 'ayam penyet' (flattened chicken).
I believe it originated from Singapore, though it's an Indonesian dish they're serving. While there are already 4 outlets in Singapore, the sole restaurant in Malaysia is at The Curve (1st Floor, Unit 132). In fact, it's so isolated in one corner, we just happened to stumble upon it. I can't even remember what shops were beside them... =_=
If you're lucky, you see their guy distributing this pamphlet nearby.
Yup, their specialty is 'flattened fried Chicken'...unfortunately, not too flattened as I soon discovered.
Just so you get an idea on their drink prices.
They name my pinkish drink 'Soda Gembira' (Happy Soda), which is (according to my friend), F&N Strawberry and milk but it tasted more like Sirap Bandung to me...?
We had a separate order of plain rice & crackers,
to go along with the Fried Chicken set.
Personally, I did not feel the chicken was really that flattened, and it wasn't as tender as I hope it'd be. It felt like kampung chicken.
But the sambal belacan you see here is extre-eme-ly HOT!
And if your food arrives late, they've got this disclaimer to take care of it.
smart.
Check out their prices at www.waroengpenyet.com.
An unlikely song they chose to attach on their website too.
Was expecting the Numa Numa song from Chicken Little... phak phak phak!

3 comments:

  1. i've tried the 'original' soda gembira in indonesia... in jakarta, surabaya and also semarang.

    it's normally condensed milk + rose syrup + soda water... so yes, it's actually the fizzy version of sirap bandung... and bloody sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. errr also... your last three words of ur post sounds like a bad word leh... 'ph' sounds like 'f' mah!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol...nvr noticed dat la..
    'pak pak pak' then.. :)

    ReplyDelete