Afternoon Tea and Evening Cruise

The Majestic Malacca is truly a legend, converted from an original serene mansion in the 1920's to a YTL Classic Hotel today. I'm just glad YTL decided to keep its 'Majestic' name.
This main building now houses 3 restaurants and its hotel lobby whilst a new block stood erected directly behind to house its 54 rooms and suites.
Looks old and historical, but the authenticity of it is the beauty of this place. Plus its rooms has the view of the Malacca riverside.
No wonder there were mainly foreigners I find here - the rooms start from RM 630/night...without breakfast, which costs another whopping RM 65!! I wonder if the foreigners are aware that breakfast comes (much) cheaper and just as good if not tastier from the foodcourt opposite and the coffeeshops right next door.
A humble-looking entrance of this hotel. Not that they're expecting a heavy flow of traffic, it's so peaceful here with only a handful of opulent and classy-looking foreigners seen sipping their tea and nibbling on biskets while making polite gestures. Wow, I really like it..everyone behaves in here!

All my life, I've never stepped into this place until yesterday, after hearing much publicity of it...from my sister. I would never have dreamt about coming here had my sister not offered to treat me to an afternoon English Tea here.

The last time my parents stepped foot in here was some 40 years ago where their parents met up to discuss on dowry for my parents' marriage. Like me, you must be going 'waaah so rich la your parents'. Na-ah, during that time, this was merely an inn which charged RM 5 per room per night. Now, RM 5 wouldn't even get you a glass of plain water in here. A cappucino alone is priced at RM 50++.
Apparently, their Spa Village is an award-winning brand and they are the world's only spa to base its therapies on the healing heritage of the Baba-Nyonya culture.
Maybe they use one of these benches for their spa. Only, mine's on the patio.
Huge array of flower display greets you at the entrance.
During my 'Hotel Management' course, I learnt that you distinguish the star quality of a hotel by looking at their flower displays. Hotels rated 5-stars and above never use plastic flowers or fake plants.
Don't be fooled by this simple-looking, 3-star standard (?) receptionist counter. That guy in white speaks English in such an English way, he reminds me of Mr Brown from 'Mind Your Language'.
Not too big a pool but at least there's some privacy here.
Snooped around and found one of their dining areas. Nice huh?
Let you know if I get the chance to dine here. :p
The gym on the other hand is looking pretty 'transparent'.
Space must be an issue as the hotel had simply built a mini gym located right beside the hotel's main block.
I like that they placed jars of tidbits around the lobby for you to snack on. Not sure if this is only for the CNY period.
And they're huuuuge jars too. Just to show they do not stinge. Nor expect some group of boisterous greedy kids to visit the hotel and begin stuffing these free goodies down their throats and pockets.
This peanut cookie is delicious!
And who can resist these old-fashioned colored cream top biskets.
Orang yang membelanja bersama orang yang dibelanja(i?)
terima kasih banyak2...semoga dapat berbelanja lagi.
Check out the original teakwood fittings and the vintage kind of wooden shutters. Only now they've glassed up the place since it's air-conditioned (duh).
This room is called 'The Library'. And we'll be having our tea here...no wait, Traditional Afternoon English Tea sounds so much more elegant. And, those books on the shelves? .. just for show.
Since tea was going to be a long session, it was very important to choose the most comfy chair in the room.
...still choosing...
Then, what caught my eye was the original porcelain flooring and design covering the entire grounds of this hotel interior...
...and the pictures on the wall reminded me of my History teacher at school. How did I ever survive memorising those dates and events.
This part of 'The Library' I like.
Don't expect to find any Cleo, Her World, Cosmopolitan or Galaxie here though.
I ain't no regular, so maybe you can tell me how are the prices here compard to Afternoon Tea at other hotels?
Whilst everyone else had Earl Grey (which sounds a bit too oldie for me), I went for the Lime and Ginger Tea instead.
oooh look at my dainty napkin.
A wide selection of teas to indulge in. Tea is anytime the better choice over coffee as you can have many many pots of it. The coffee is usually just their freshly brewed black kind.
The waitress is dressed in traditional Nyonya attire.
(l-r) : Jason's mum, sister Jade and dad.
Our tray of goodies is finally here!
This set is meant for 2...that means only one teensy-weensy (one mouthful?) piece per pax.
My Dad's eyes literally lit up when he saw the fried spring roll and boxing chicken. Being the typical 'Cina', he's not particularly fond of English pastries and all.
The bottom tray (in which we're supposed to begin with) carries the sandwiches (salmon, tuna, egg and cheese) and buttery crumbly scones to be eaten with marmalade and clotted cream. Very very good, I must say.
oh wow didn't expect this picture to turn out so good.
Millie and the 'other' photographer, Jason
Can you spot the little rainbow reflected on the wall? So cool.
After a good fulfilling experience, it was time to head home...walking to the car..
Our 2-door black Bentley
yea right!
our 'actual' cars were actually parked behind this hotel so off we went the other direction.
They only allow 6 cars (preferably rides worth at least half a mil, I guess) to be parked in the front porch.
Not a very 'majestic' exit for us, going out through their side door. Heehee.
I guess we were still feeling the 'Malacca legacy' air around us so we decided to hop on to a Melaka River Cruise.
It was only RM 10/pax for a 45-minute cruise along the Melaka river. Too bad there wasn't a guide onboard to talk us through the cruise, unlike my previous experience, so we had to figure buildings out on our own, including spotting our own iguanas and biawaks.
The timing was perfect though as we started at 7pm while it was still bright and halfway back, it was the night cruise experience.
Out of nowhere, I was shocked to see this small park near the Windmill consisting of many mini replicas of famous historical sites in Malacca, like this clock tower.
Last stop was din din at this coffeeshop famous for...
Duck Noodles!

On a different note, I would just like to show you that on the same day I also tried making the so-called 'Perfect Roast Potatoes' (as taught by Nigella Lawson on Ch 707).
The PERFECT Roast Potatoes must be crispy on the outside yet fluffy on the inside...just like these.
Wanna try it yourself? It's real easy...
1. Start by removing the skin off the potatoes (Buy US ones) and cut into triangles of 3 (Triangles means you get more corners so it'll guarantee a crispier potato)
2. Parboil them (means half-cook them) in garlic-infused water (means just throw in some garlic when you boil them)
3. Meantime, start heating up a tray of olive oil in your oven. I set my oven at 210 C.
3. Remove potatoes from water and sprinkle some semolina flour on it (this is for some sweetness). I couldn't find semolina so I used McCormick's spicy flour seasoning meant for fried chicken. heehee.
4. Arrange your potatoes (no overlapping please) in the HOT HOT tray of HOT sizzling oil. You can throw in some rosemary and curry leaves (like I did).
5. Bake for about 45 minutes till you get them looking like this.
6. Enjoy with your favourite meat or with a glass of wine (like me) or cold Shandy (if you're a kid).
HAH, my 2nd cupcake attempt!!
Chocolate-Orange Cupcakes...and I'm bringing them back for you to try, be-beh!

Holidays are over and I'm going back to KL in 9 hrs time...so I really need to go to bed now..

Haven't even packed a single thing! +.+

But, looking forward to now celebrating CNY in KL! whoooooppeee.....(I hope I'll be getting more ang-pows)

3 comments:

  1. 2 door bentley = bentley continental GT...

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha u sure know ur cars, boy!
    how much one of those babies cost anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  3. probably more than a million bucks... my neighbour back pg has one, and i drool at it everytime i go back... summore parked next to his red ferrari :(

    btw, if u dun mind me saying, ur cupcake's white topping needs a little... err... refinement? but i'm sure it tastes good!! :D

    and no salt for ur potatoes?? looks delicious tho :)....

    ReplyDelete