steamed fish anyone?

I've always had a thing for steamed fish.
I think it was because Mum used to prepare it at least twice a week when I was living at home.
I still remember the best part of this dish was not picking the bits and pieces of flesh off the bones, but rather drinking the sweet intoxicating sauce produced from the steamed fish. Till the very last drop.
Now that I'm away from home, to me this dish has become what a bowl of shark's fin is to many.
A luxury to have.

Hence, you can imagine my joy, going to Lan Je's for one of my favourite dishes!

Even if it is all the way in Rawang.

Even if the name of the shop bears a close resemblance to some word 'nasty'.
We are growing restless, waiting for our food... *kruk kruk*
Food's here!..My request, Kangkung sambal belacan!
'Yao mak' looks good eh?
Finally, the fish is here!
We were 4 hungry and greedy friends, so we ordered a whole fish each.
You have the option of having yours with normal or extra spicy (which basically just means you get about triple the portion of cili padi on your fish)
Only disadvantage though, they serve only one type of sauce.
This was our spread before...
...and after. burp.
Who's whose? Can you guess which fish was mine?
Definitely not this! It's obscenely naked..LOL
Siaw Chin and I (er what's the deal with me and my hanging right arm wei..)

If you are interested, try fishing out this shop at Lan Je Steamed Fish (27-28, Block C, Jalan RawangGerai MPS, Batu 16, Rawang) (Tel No: 012-227 0037) Business hours are from 11am to 3pm for lunch, and 6 to 10:30pm for dinner, closed on Tuesday.

My verdict - Fish is fresh and tasty but pricing's a bit steep at RM 77 for 4 pax.
And of course,................Mum's SF still the best!
This dish is now a must-have whenever I'm home.
And thanks Dad, for making sure Mum fills up the plate with lots of fish sauce for me! ^_^

5 comments:

  1. Mum cooking is alwiz the best coz it has a special ingredient...known as the 'heart'...similarly, a cake or cookie baked by one's own effort (and sweat too) remains a taste at heart & mind than those off the shelf...an ingredient that is irreplaceable, don't u think so..?

    ReplyDelete
  2. tsk tsk tsk...this one must be hinting that very long i never make cookies for him to eat dy..wakakakaka

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, Yum Yum..! u got that right.
    lemme know when u try and gif me ur verdict k! must be consistent geh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. rawang is kinda far to go makan steam fish... no?? :P

    i wud only go that far for... err... SATAY!!! (in kajang laaa)....

    ReplyDelete