My Wedding (Part 3) - Tea Ceremony in Malacca

To all whose necks have grown longer waiting for this (yup, I am that efficient),

Mark and I finally held our tea ceremony in Malacca on 7th Aug - d best date that suited most of my guests, not to mention the last weekend before the start of the seventh month (aka 'ghost month' of the Chinese calendar). The venue - where else but my humble home in bearhill (Bukit Beruang is the place I grew up)

As hosts, we felt more like the guests of honour as we travelled down to KL on that very early Saturday morning itself. I was stubborn coz I insisted on getting my hair and makeup done in KL first. By Cyndi Chia (again) of course.



My look for that day was made to last till night!


All in all, RM 250 to get my face painted (at least it doesn't look like I had ICI paint on my face!) and to get this girly, slightly retro hairdo using 2 of my own hairbands.

In line with my 'white' wedding theme, I was dressed in an all-white lacy cheongsam which I got specially for this tea ceremony. I guess I was more inclined to buy this dress since it was a cheongsam rather than for its design. You know la...tea ceremony = tradition = old fashioned = elderly people attend = cheongsam... hehe
looking back at these pics, why hadn't I thought of getting mark to dress in traditional wear too..

First and foremost, we prayed to my departed grandparents. Without them, there would never be a happily married 'us' today.
Then the official tea ceremony begins,
with my immediate family and relatives who attended.
It was the biggest thrill to be on the receiving end of ang pows and all :)

I had to constantly remind myself that this was a one-time thing and hereafter, I would be looking at an outflow of cash on the CNYs to come (gulp).
Like right now, when it was my younger cousins' turn to pour us tea.
Thanks to cou Sarah for being such a great helper - we couldn't have asked for a sexier 'tea-lady'.
Love Mum and Dad for really putting their efforts and time into planning the entire event and ensuring the guests felt welcomed, entertained (that must have been my bro's department as he screened the movie IP Man 2)
and fed well.
Mum even cycled out to buy some pulut rempah udang and yummy curry puffs from a nyonya neighbour.
It was a bubbly atmosphere as everyone stood around eating and chatting, it felt like a CNY eve reunion makan.
look, we even got cheezels!
And then it was time to take some memorable family shots...
with grandpapa
Dear and his hair-raising moment...
with 3rd uncle and family
with uncle Lim and family all the way from S'pore
uncle Nam and wifey came from JB
This was the girl my mum took care of ever since she was a baby... the same girl dat grew up calling me 'small cheh-cheh' up till today. Aih I'm not so small anymore ler...
with Sarah
with big bro and big sis and mr teddy peeking in
the ladies in the family.....waitaminute, where's mom
Great that Jason and Annie popped by as well
Wonder what we said/ did that made mum and dad laugh this hard in a dozen candid shots we took. These are just a few of them.
My parents must be thinking "Look how big they've grown..."
... in numbers".
Finally, our boldest attempt to take a picture with everyone in it.
I'm putting these up so you can see everyone's goofy expression in the process.
Nobody knew the self-timed camera was busy clicking away, I guess. lol.





Here we go...
And it's a wrap!
Flipping through the album, I found a couple of pics looking like advertorial shots -
would you try Maggi brand of curry puff?
a sip of Yeo's to quench your thirst on a hot Sat afternoon
Even our food covers made it into the album!
It was an eventful afternoon that ended with every family going home with a box of deliciously baked wedding biscuits.
I was so glad we went ahead to hold the tea ceremony. And held it in this place I grew up in and in this house that holds countless fond memories for me and my siblings right there beside me.
My next part of 'My Wedding' is the dinner we held on the same night.
Wait for that part to come, y'all.
Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. Nice traditional ceremony... You look beautiful in your white cheongsam

    ReplyDelete